This Is The Reason Kyoto Won't Work
Loaf of Bread
2007-02-04 21:44:58 UTC
A canary in the Chinese coal mine
GEOFFREY YORK
From Saturday's Globe and Mail
LINFEN, China - The wheat farmers of Donglu village can't sell their
harvest. The wheat kernels are dark, sooty, hollow and twisted.

"Nobody wants to buy it, so we have to eat it at home," says Zhang
Xiaojiao, a farmer in the village.

"Look at it," she says, brandishing a handful of the stuff. "It
doesn't taste good. It tastes bitter. It's because of the coal
pollution. But nobody cares about us, and nobody comes to
investigate."

All around this valley, thousands of peasants are trying to carve out
an existence against the thick dust that chokes the air and settles
heavily over every living thing. The soil is covered with a layer of
grey soot. Tree leaves are laden with dust. The cabbages are
blackened.

[snip]

Donglu village has been swallowed up by Linfen, a city of about 4.3
million, possibly the most polluted place on the planet. It is
certainly one of the dirtiest cities in China, a status confirmed by
annual government surveys for the past five years. A World Bank study
a few years ago concluded that it was the most polluted city in the
world.

[snip]

Coal is the biggest reason for China's rapid climb to the top ranks of
the world's worst contributors to global warming. The latest
projections show that China will overtake the United States to become
the world's top producer of carbon dioxide by 2009, nearly a decade
quicker than projected in previous studies. China will soon produce 20
per cent of all the carbon dioxide on the planet.

[snip]

CHINA and other developing countries are exempt from the Kyoto
Protocol's rules for cutting the production of greenhouse gases. They
argue strenuously that they should be allowed the same historical
privileges that allowed the industrialized nations to develop their
economies, even if it means a sharp increase in global-warming gases
over the next decade or two.

[snip]

LINFEN'S descent into this hellish existence has been surprisingly
rapid. As recently as the 1980s, the city planted fruit trees on its
streets and called itself the "Modern Flower and Fruit Town."

But as China launched its economic reforms, its booming factories
needed energy. Hundreds of coal-fired power plants were hastily built,
and entrepreneurs rushed into the coal industry, often digging illegal
mines or creating makeshift coking factories that blatantly violated
environmental laws.

[snip]

The pollution in Linfen is so bad that even the red lanterns outside
the restaurants are sometimes black from soot. Cars turn on their
headlamps in the daytime. Nobody wears a white shirt because it soon
becomes grey. Half of the local drinking wells are polluted and
unsafe. Elderly people stay indoors, afraid to breathe the air on the
streets. Young children have grown up without ever seeing the stars at
night because of the haze.

[snip]

LINFEN might be an extreme example of China's environmental woes, but
the rest of the country is suffering similar consequences of failed
government and weak regulation. An estimated 400,000 people die
prematurely every year in China because of respiratory illnesses
caused by air pollution. Environmental targets are routinely ignored.
Studies have found that about 60 per cent of Chinese companies are
violating environmental rules.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070203.wclimatechina03/BNStory/ClimateChange/home

While we are trying to cut our greenhouse gas emissions, China is
ramping up production like there is no tomorrow.

According to the article, China plans to build another 500 coal fired
power plants. Alberta has nowhere near 500 coal fired power plants.
Neither does Ontario.

Rachel Carson raised the hue and cry against pollution in North
America back in the 1960s. While we aren't perfect, we've done a lot
to clean up our act since then. At least in Lost Angeles, with it's
smog haze, you can see past the end of the block, unlike Linfen,
China.

Yes, let's work to reduce our own pollution and greenhouse gas
emissions. As for Kyoto, until countries like China clean up their
own act, and set and achieve some targets of their own, Kyoto is dead
in the water and sinking fast.
Canuck57
2007-02-05 00:04:00 UTC
Post by Loaf of Bread
A canary in the Chinese coal mine
GEOFFREY YORK
From Saturday's Globe and Mail
LINFEN, China - The wheat farmers of Donglu village can't sell their
harvest. The wheat kernels are dark, sooty, hollow and twisted.
"Nobody wants to buy it, so we have to eat it at home," says Zhang
Xiaojiao, a farmer in the village.
[ massive snip ]

Although this is likely very much true and correct, Singapore and Taiwan
harbours too are like this ---

They ARE EXEMPT form Kyoto emissions.

China at 5+ billion can pollute but at 33M cold people in Canada can't.

Go figure.
John Fleming
2007-02-05 01:42:07 UTC
On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 00:04:00 GMT, while chained to a desk in
$>A canary in the Chinese coal mine
$> GEOFFREY YORK
$>
$>>From Saturday's Globe and Mail
$>
$> LINFEN, China - The wheat farmers of Donglu village can't sell their
$> harvest. The wheat kernels are dark, sooty, hollow and twisted.
$>
$> "Nobody wants to buy it, so we have to eat it at home," says Zhang
$> Xiaojiao, a farmer in the village.
$
$[ massive snip ]
$
$Although this is likely very much true and correct, Singapore and Taiwan
$harbours too are like this ---
$
$They ARE EXEMPT form Kyoto emissions.
$
$China at 5+ billion can pollute but at 33M cold people in Canada can't.
$
$Go figure.
Go figure is right.

Still, if there are a bunch of states that are polluting the
planet, we are fighting an uphill battle.
can
2007-02-06 02:11:27 UTC
Post by John Fleming
Still, if there are a bunch of states that are polluting the
planet, we are fighting an uphill battle.
So why expect canadian taxpayers to carry the burden for all the other
countries?
Canuck57
They should not, but Ottawa would love a carbon tax increase.
can
2007-02-06 04:22:44 UTC
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 02:38:48 GMT, "Canuck57"
Post by Canuck57
Post by can
Post by John Fleming
Still, if there are a bunch of states that are polluting the
planet, we are fighting an uphill battle.
So why expect canadian taxpayers to carry the burden for all the other
countries?
They should not, but Ottawa would love a carbon tax increase.
Agreed. One day while trying to find a web page link for probably PV
who never reads them anyway, I read that the POLITICIANS also known as
government can do whatever they want to raise money. IMAGINE THAT and
how scary is that???? It is painfully obvious that all the laws and
rules were designed by the politicians to abuse the taxpayers with NO
RECOURSE for the taxpayer. If people used to think that Communist
Russian was bad or even afaghanistan today maybe they should look at
the abuse taxpayers are getting from POLITICIANS and their parties
today.
Canuck57
2007-02-07 03:25:37 UTC
Post by Canuck57
Post by can
Post by John Fleming
Still, if there are a bunch of states that are polluting the
planet, we are fighting an uphill battle.
So why expect canadian taxpayers to carry the burden for all the other
countries?
They should not, but Ottawa would love a carbon tax increase.
Agreed. One day while trying to find a web page link for probably PV
who never reads them anyway, I read that the POLITICIANS also known as
government can do whatever they want to raise money. IMAGINE THAT and
how scary is that???? It is painfully obvious that all the laws and
rules were designed by the politicians to abuse the taxpayers with NO
RECOURSE for the taxpayer. If people used to think that Communist
Russian was bad or even afaghanistan today maybe they should look at
the abuse taxpayers are getting from POLITICIANS and their parties
today.
There is truth in that excessive taxation is a form of slavery. Although
some post it in an anarchical way, I do agree with it. Feudal systems used
it, as did Romans and others. But at the rates we pay? Loan sharks wish
they had it so good.

We don't have a fair tax system because the government can leverage this
against society for bigger dysfunctional government. Say person A thinks
person B is getting away with less taxes. The government then taxes B more
and differently and A is happy. A year or so later it is A's turn to get
more taxes and B becomes happy. By taxing A and B differently, they pay
more taxes than is needed and hate each other and never unite towards the
real culprit. This is a classic political lesson which is actually taught
in both political and management courses.

One thing any government employee or elected dictator will never commit to
is how much tax is considered unfair. Oh, they talk popular rhetoric for
the poor, but what about the working poor and middle class? We are nothing
more than pigs to slaughter.

The other thing government types will duck nicely is how they spend the
money they get. Less than 50% of the money the federal government spends
will ever help a working person!

At least in Canada, you single biggest expense if life by far will be taxes,
be you realise it of not. Yet we question it so little.
can
2007-02-14 04:11:53 UTC
On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 03:25:37 GMT, "Canuck57"
<dave-***@unixhome.net> wrote:

So well written and so very true. It is to bad that more people do not
realize that they should be standing up to politicians today. Stop
shopping, stop volunteering while they are paying themselves huge
amounts of salary. It is time to teach them that without taxpayers and
their time and effort they cannot and will not accomplish anything.
Personally, I think people are finally catching on to the whole - help
us make your city better for nothing bullcrap. You want my help or
advice it is going to cost you.
John Fleming
2007-02-06 05:38:26 UTC
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 02:38:48 GMT, while chained to a desk in
$>
$>>Still, if there are a bunch of states that are polluting the
$>>planet, we are fighting an uphill battle.
$>
$> So why expect canadian taxpayers to carry the burden for all the other
$> countries?
$
$They should not, but Ottawa would love a carbon tax increase.
But the way things are going right now, we are going to
carry one big burden for all the other countries.

--

John Fleming
Edmonton, Canada

A Dreamer is One Who Can Only Find Her
Way by Moonlight.

-- Oscar Wilde
can
2007-02-14 04:14:47 UTC
Post by John Fleming
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 02:38:48 GMT, while chained to a desk in
$>
$>>Still, if there are a bunch of states that are polluting the
$>>planet, we are fighting an uphill battle.
$>
$> So why expect canadian taxpayers to carry the burden for all the other
$> countries?
$
$They should not, but Ottawa would love a carbon tax increase.
But the way things are going right now, we are going to
carry one big burden for all the other countries.
Exactly, I can hardly afford to support or give my family a GOOD LIFE
because I am too damn busy working my ass off to support everyone else
in this world thanks to the UN and all the other bloody doo gooder
groups. Even the Americans have not paid up their dues to the UN so I
wonder who IS. Probably the underpaid, overworked and overtaxed
taxpayers. I wonder how much longer taxpayers will be able to keep up
the pace of making all the others RICH.
Canuck57
2007-02-06 02:37:53 UTC
Post by John Fleming
[...]
Because Canadians are gullible by en-large.

It is also why Kyoto is a farce. It does not address the real issues. But
sells more tax increases.
can
2007-02-06 04:26:56 UTC
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 02:37:53 GMT, "Canuck57"
Post by Canuck57
Post by John Fleming
[...]
A scientist in the states told me recently. We no longer live in the
ice age. Ask yourself why? The earth has been warming up ever since
and that is why scientists themselves DO NOT even know how much damage
or even if the earth is warming up more than it normally would have if
nothing would have changed over the last million or more years.
As far as I am concerned and knowing and hearing that from a scientist
I figure that the enviornmentalist are using this as a way to CREATE
WORK FOR THEMSELVES and once again for their friends in business.
Everyone today seems to want MONEY FROM CANADIAN TAXPAYERS and seeing
as Stephen HARPER is handing it out so FREELY why the hell not. Oh,
and all the other countries should and the UN should learn to mind
their own damn business or use their own money to make this a better
world instead of MINE.
Canuck57
2007-02-07 03:41:32 UTC
Post by Canuck57
Post by John Fleming
[...]
Agreed and agreed. The UN is a farce in itself. In its existence it is
just become a political mess. One thing that would fix the UN is if you got
votes based on contributions. If you no-contribute you can show up and
sound off but no vote. The US being the biggest contributor and are many of
the G8 -- would then make better decisions. Why give a Darwinian dictator
in some banana republic that only shows up the same vote as say the US? Or
Canada for that mater.

I for one am glad we don't live in an ice age. Even dinosaurs didn't like
it much. Like the butter versus margarine question I suspect global warming
might actually someday be sanctioned. Lets say global warming is in fact
real, although the temperature outside would not agree, say the following
example occurs:

- plants like carbon gases and produce oxygen, they thrive to replace cut
forests.
- arctic waters melt, producing more vapour to water the plants, they
thrive, more tropics
- areas previously uninhabitable by humans and animals become habitable
allowing more arable land.

The above is at least as possible as "the sky is falling" mentality we hear
in these news groups.

Mother nature has compensated for many hundreds of millions of dinosaur's
methane over a billion years or so, a dozen ice ages with warming periods
many warmer than now, a few good meteor impacts and certainly will adapt to
these ants crawling on it called humans.

The sky isn't falling. We have more to worry about like a meteorite as it
changes things in minutes not eons.
can
2007-02-14 04:28:00 UTC
On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 03:41:32 GMT, "Canuck57"
Post by Canuck57
Agreed and agreed. The UN is a farce in itself. In its existence it is
just become a political mess. One thing that would fix the UN is if you got
votes based on contributions. If you no-contribute you can show up and
sound off but no vote. The US being the biggest contributor and are many of
the G8 -- would then make better decisions. Why give a Darwinian dictator
in some banana republic that only shows up the same vote as say the US? Or
Canada for that mater.
Actually the USA is billions of dollars BEHIND in their payments and
probably don't even give a damn and that should be Canada's attitude
to. I would like to know since when did canadian taxpayers become
responsible for ALL THE WORLD instead of their own families.
Post by Canuck57
[...]
It seems like each and every year politicians NEED to find something
to DO and this year, note how fast HARPER REVERSED HIMSELF because
someone obviously in a HIGHER POWER told him to worry about the
environment. I wonder if we will ever get a politician that HAS A MIND
OF HIS OWN instead of a UN or NATO sock puppet. As a taxpayer I am
sick of working myself to death just so someone bureaucrat can make
BIG MONEY bossing everyone else around.
John Fleming
2007-02-06 05:37:18 UTC
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 02:37:53 GMT, while chained to a desk in
$> Go figure is right.
$>
$> Still, if there are a bunch of states that are polluting the
$> planet, we are fighting an uphill battle.
$
$Because Canadians are gullible by en-large.
$
$It is also why Kyoto is a farce. It does not address the real issues. But
$sells more tax increases.
If you are a newly industrializing country, or a country
that can meet and exceed its Kyoto targets, you are laughing
all the way to the bank.

Otherwise, you get screwed.

Unfortunately, we Canadians are in the screwed category. We
signed a deal, then did nothing to even try and meet the
targets. So come 2012, we are going to be paying big bucks.

-- Oscar Wilde
can
2007-02-14 04:32:30 UTC
Post by John Fleming
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 02:37:53 GMT, while chained to a desk in
$> Go figure is right.
$>
$> Still, if there are a bunch of states that are polluting the
$> planet, we are fighting an uphill battle.
$
$Because Canadians are gullible by en-large.
$
$It is also why Kyoto is a farce. It does not address the real issues. But
$sells more tax increases.
If you are a newly industrializing country, or a country
that can meet and exceed its Kyoto targets, you are laughing
all the way to the bank.
Otherwise, you get screwed.
Unfortunately, we Canadians are in the screwed category. We
signed a deal, then did nothing to even try and meet the
targets. So come 2012, we are going to be paying big bucks.
If I were a politician today I would really be worried about what
could happen when taxpayers have had enough. All these years of
brainwashing may not be enough to calm the masses that now realize how
STUPID politicans are with our hard earned money. It could be tough to
get money from ALL the people on welfare or are on disability because
that is exactly where we are all headed. Burnout is rampant now and
with labour shortages will get worse and worse but I don't politicians
have taken that into account yet. They are way to busy trying to help
businesses make HUGE PROFITS at our expense instead.
can
2007-02-06 02:10:15 UTC
On 4 Feb 2007 13:44:58 -0800, "Loaf of Bread" <***@hotmail.com>
wrote:

But these are good areas for CANADIAN and USA businesses to open sweat
shops with minimal costs now that there is too much paperwork and too
many environmental groups etc.etc. increasing the cost OF DOING
BUSINESS AND CUTTING into HUGE PROFITS And million dollars CEO
salaries.

Here is a warning in case you have not heard this yet - the next time
YOU go to the store and BUY ANY FRUIT etc. purchase a bottle of fruit
and vegetable cleaner and use it each and every time you want to eat.
After all, with no restrictions - like fruit from chile - who know
what is on it.
Post by Loaf of Bread
A canary in the Chinese coal mine
GEOFFREY YORK